In 2016, Groupe Renault sought to streamline their internal and external PLM collaboration. They evaluated several solutions, and after a Proof of Concept validation, ShareAspace was chosen to bolster Groupe Renault’s initiative to fully digitize their PLM area.
Traditional methods like manual point-to-point collaboration with suppliers, single-cell robotic simulation, and physical validation of manufacturing engineering were no longer efficient. In a highly competitive environment, there’s a pressing need for up-to-date engineering data availability around the clock. Initially, three areas were addressed:
- Facilitate quick loops between product definition and downstream applications.
- Enhance efficiency and create “new breakthroughs” in collaboration with Nissan and Daimler.
- Minimize delay and cost associated with initiating collaborations with new Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs).
Groupe Renault’s choice aligns with the Global Automotive Advisory Group (GAAG) recommendation for OEM-to-OEM collaboration. It proposes basing collaborations between systems and organizations on HUB technology and open information exchange formats, like ISO STEP AP242 and JT. Using such standards enables transparent metadata mapping and CAD-format transformation for all partners, thereby minimizing rework when commencing new collaborative partnerships. ShareAspace will integrate information from Groupe Renault’s BOM system SIGNE and ENOVIA V6 and deliver complete product definitions to downstream applications in Manufacturing, After Sales, and Simulation. It will also facilitate full vehicle definition exchanges with new OEMs.
- Speed: Complete digital mock-ups are consolidated and available every 24 hours.
- Efficiency: Data preparation for collaborations with Nissan and Daimler is eliminated, significantly minimizing the rework required when receiving data back from these entities.
- Reduced Costs: The process simplifies the initiation of collaborations with new partners and joint ventures.
- Shared Understanding: CAD and metadata transparency for all partners also minimize rework when starting new collaborative partnerships, a benefit derived from using standardized processes.